To provide fair prices to small, family farms for their quality brown eggs in order to preserve the independent farm lifestyle, and keep farmers on their land.
JRS Country Acres believes….
* Farmers have the basic right to support their family through operation of a farm, as stated in the Universal Human Rights Declaration.
* We, as country residents and food consumers with a farm heritage, have a responsibility to take a proactive approach in supporting a local food system
* It is morally imperative to operate our small business in a manner that sustains the dignity and the health of the family farms who supply us. Fairness in compensation to our farm families enhances food security.
* Supporting diversification of on-farm agricultural products is important to minimize farm risks and keep farmers on the land.
* Our generation has a responsibility to ensure open space and farmland preservation in order to maintain tillable land for future generations. One of our future goals is to place a farmland preservation easement on our deed to preserve JRS Country Acres as farm land into perpetuity.
* That only through environmental stewardship and adoption of sustainable agricultural practices can family farm operations continue to survive. Successful family farms are also stewards of the land.
* It is our responsibility as farmers and as a grading station to ensure food safety for all the eggs throughout the process of transportation, cleaning, grading and packaging.
* It is our responsibility to share with our customers key supplier and operations standards.
* All humans/households have a right to food security. We agree with the USDA’s definition for food security.
Food security for a household means access by all members at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life. Food security includes at a minimum:
• The ready availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods.
• Assured ability to acquire acceptable foods in socially acceptable ways (that is, without resorting to emergency food supplies, scavenging, stealing, or other coping strategies).